Saturday, September 4, 2010

 


This has been an interesting couple of days. After many letters and few phone calls, the day finally came where I could see my son since he reported to boot camp and physically hug and kiss him.

Words cannot describe the emotions and roller coaster I was going thru as I waited for them to march into the Family Day Meet and Greet location, which because of the rain, was moved to "THE BUBBLE." However, at the moment we heard the chant and heard the footsteps in unison, every hair on my body stood up and the chills taht ran down my spine were something that I will never forget.

Tears flowed from my eyes unabashedly and I let them fall as I blinked through them and saw my son for the first time. The pride I felt in watching him marching as a US Soldier dressed in his BDUs cannot be described. This was the little boy that I held in my arms in 1992 and tenderly looked into his eyes. Here was a man - a US Soldier ready at a moment's notice to defend our country and allow us the freedom we enjoy.

I was anxious for all the prerequisites to be over and to finally get to hug him, but as soon as the word was given it was total pandemonium with everyone rushing to greet their soldiers. It took a few minutes to find him and my husband was the first to see him and hug him. Who says real men don't cry? Tears were there - not afraid to show emotion.

I was so happy to be embraced by my son and to feel those arms around my neck again, not the arms of a little boy looking for comfort, but the arms of a man telling me it was OK to let go and that he was fine.

I am so proud of my son and of each and every soldier in our country. God bless you and keep you safe.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment